The Community Wildlife Program (CWP) provides municipal planners and non-governmental organizations with the most up-to-date information on conservation science and resources for implementing their conservation projects.

The program helps towns take their community’s conservation goals, use them to identify important wildlife habitat, and translate these goals into language that can use be used in their town plans.


Conserving Vermont's Natural Heritage cover

Conserving Vermont's Natural Heritage

This manual offers technical guidance for identifying important wildlife and natural heritage resources in your communities or area of interest, and understanding information related to the conservation of those resources. It also provides ideas, options, and opportunities for communities and others to consider when planning for the long-term conservation of wildlife in Vermont. You can download a copy or call 828-1000 for a free copy.

Download the manual


The Community Wildlife Program offers a number of free services to towns and nongovernmental organizations.

Finding Information

There is a lot of natural resource data available to towns, and program staff will help you determine what type(s) of data you need, where to get it, and how to interpret the data.

Reviewing Town Planning Documents

Whether your town is rewriting its town plan, zoning ordinances or sub-division regulations, program staff can review these documents and provide suggestions to ensure the language meets your goals.

Access to Other Resources or Project Partners 

The program can help you find organizations to partner with for funding or additional services to help with the implementation of your conservation projects.

Changing the Scale

Because the program offers technical assistance statewide, staff are likely working with your neighbors and are familiar with conservation planning on a larger, regional level. The program can review your projects and help you integrate them into the big picture.

Contact Us

To schedule a consultation with a conservation biologist, email Jens Hilke or call 802-461-6791.  The consultations and any follow up services are free of charge and are sponsored by the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department.