Bats in the attic, bears in the beehives, deer eating the beans, raccoons in the garbage - the list of wildlife problems goes on.

Many wildlife species can become a nuisance under certain circumstances. Here are some resources for help with nuisance wildlife.

  • U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal Damage Control Unit in Berlin, Vermont

    Phone number:  802-223-8690 or visit their website on protecting property.

  • Living with Black Bears
    Learn how to avoid conflicts with bears.

  • Best Management Practices for Resolving Human-Beaver Conflicts
    Beaver dams benefit many wildlife species but they can create problems for humans. This 43-page publication provides information on how to reduce the risk of property damage and minimize the impacts on important wildlife habitat associated with beaver ponds, when beaver and beaver dams are removed.

    • Factsheet on BMPs for Beaver Conflicts - This factsheet, summarized from the publication listed above, provides an overview of what to do when there is problem with beavers on your property and is summary.

  • Living with Bats
    Learning to live with bats will help with the long-term conservation of bats.

    Here is a trusted source for sound, legal and responsible wildlife control and damage prevention advice.

  • Nuisance Wildlife Trappers

    The department has a list of licensed trappers whom are willing to assist landowners with certain types of wildlife nuisance problems. To find a trapper:

    • Call Wildlife Services at (802) 223-8690
    • Email Mary Beth Adler or call (802) 289-0629
    • Visit the Springfield district office at 100 Mineral Street, Suite 302, Springfield, VT  05156-3168
  • Wildlife Depredation Permit
    Wildlife depredation permits are issued under the authority of 10 V.S.A §4138. Depredation permits are issued only to properly accredited persons or institutions for the purposes of preventing the propagation of game or food fish and may take, permit or cause to be taken at any time wild animals which are doing damage

    Applications for a depredation permit shall only be submitted after non-lethal management proves unsuccessful. If a permit is issued, permittees will be expected to continue to integrate non-lethal techniques when implementing any lethal measures. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply.

    Allow up to 30 days following the determination that the application is complete for application processing.